Sunday, July 24, 2011

Gettin' My Craft On

Disclaimer: Not responsible for any addictions you may develop as a result of reading this blog.

So I discovered this website, Pinterest. Pinterest is a virtual pinboard. Basically, it lets you organize and share all of the beautiful, cool, fun things you find on the web. When you find things you like, you easily pin them to one of your Pinterest boards. I have boards for wreaths I love, crafts I want to make, party ideas, things that make me laugh, things I would like to have, cupcakes/cakes I'd like to make, recipes, etc. You create your own categories. I even have a board for eye candy. If looking at Kyle ChandlerRob Lowe and Jon Bon Jovi is wrong...I don't wanna be right. (C'mon...I'm married, not dead.) You can also browse pinboards created by other people. This site, my friends, is a legalized, non-substance form of crack. It's addicting. I love it. I can't stop.  And I have no desire to stop.
One of the boards I created is my "Feelin' Crafty/DIY" board. So far, after being on Pinterest for almost a month, I've created several of the ideas I've pinned. Most of my projects have been done with things I already have around the house. What I have bought are things I can use for multiple projects (paint, glue, ribbon, etc) or are things I found for dirt cheap at Goodwill.
Raise your hand if you want to see one of my projects! Okay, great. Hands down. I'll show you my favorite project so far. In fact, I'm just going to give you a little tutorial, because you're going to want to make one for yourself.

DIY Cupcake Stands
I love cupcakes! They are one of my most favorite things to bake. But I didn't have anything to display them on. Until now. Aren't these adorable?!?!



I found these random, mismatched drink glasses, plates and bowl at Goodwill. I paid less than $5 for all 6 pieces.

Center the glasses on the bottom of the plates.You can glue the glasses down now, but I chose to paint first. Spray the bottom of the plates and the glasses with frosted glass spray paint. This helps the spray paint to stick to the glass surfaces. Also, this will leave a visible ring where you will glue the glasses onto the plates. The glue will not stick to paint, so be sure you don't bump your glasses. You want a clean ring where the glue will go.

 I used Rust-Oleum's Frosted Glass spray paint. After you've frosted your glasses and plates, wait for them to dry. (about 20 minutes)

  Have a Popsicle and admire your pretty flowers while you're waiting for your frosted glass paint to dry.

 Next, spray paint the bottoms of the plates and the glasses. I used Krylon's Watermelon and Ballet Slippers. (You know I had to use Ballet Slippers just because of the name!)

 Once the spray paint on the bottom is dry, you're ready to glue the glasses down.  Use a household silicone sealant that is used for aquariums. It's waterproof and dishwasher safe. I used DAP brand. I drove all over town looking for this. Helpful tip: Just go straight to Home Depot. This will cost ya about $4. That was the ONLY place I could find it. Also, when I was squeezing the glue out, my tube busted a little on the end. Some disposable rubber/latex gloves would've been a good idea. Let this dry for about 24 hours.
 After your glue is dry, you can turn your stands upright and spray paint the tops. Because we seem to be living on the surface of the sun, I got creative and propped up a fan in the garage to help speed along the drying process. I was impatient at this point and ready to display some cupcakes!

 I found these precious little doilies on the $1 rack at Michaels. They only had 2 so one sweet little stand gets left out for now. I need to check some other locations for another one.

 I made these yummy, summery Dreamsicle cupcakes so I could try out my stands. I love them! I think they have a ton of character and they're different! (The one closest in the pic is made with a larger plate so it can also be used as a cake stand.) Best of all, the total cost of the project was less than $20!!
Hooray for cute, inexpensive projects! And crack. Hooray for crack!

No comments:

Post a Comment